You met all the qualifications. You completed the application. You studied and – most importantly – you passed your NABCEP certification exam! Now that you’ve done the hardest part, it’s time to recertify and maintain your NABCEP professional certification.
Here’s what you need to know…
Before we dive in, this post is about NABCEP professional certifications. This includes PV Installation Professional (PVIP), PV Technical Sales (PVTS), PV Design Specialist (PVDS), PV Commissioning and Maintenance Specialist (PVCMS), and PV Installation Specialist (PVIS). There are different requirements to renew NABCEP PV Associate (PVA) Credentials.
NABCEP professional certifications must be recertified every 3 years through NABCEP’s Certemy platform, also known as myNABCEP.
- Paying a $390 recertification fee
- Signing the code of ethics
- Providing documentation on industry involvement criteria
- And continuing education
Continuing Education Units (also known as CEUs)
Over the last few years, NABCEP has been updating the education requirements to recertify. All professional certifications now require a total of 30 CEUs*, with specific hours allocated to electric codes, building/fire codes, and the particular job task analysis (JTA). See the chart at the top of the page for a CEU requirement breakdown by certification.
Additionally, all courses must be approved by NABCEP to count towards your 30 CEU hours.
At HeatSpring, we make it easy to see which of our courses provide particular hours to each certification. Here’s how:
- Find your NABCEP certification on our NABCEP Credentials page.
- Go to the certification you need to recertify.
- Scroll down to the “Approved NABCEP CEU Hours” chart.
- There, you will find all HeatSpring courses approved for CEU credit with NABCEP along with the breakdown of how many hours qualify in each category, making it easy to fill in gaps in your recertification application.
It’s also important to note that you can’t resubmit the same course(s) that you took to gain your certification again when recertifying. It needs to be new content for you.
Here are a few popular options to meet all recertification requirements for the PVIP:
- 30-Hour Advanced Energy Storage and Code Training + CEUs by Sean White
- Megawatt Design by Randy Bachelor
- Utility Scale Commercial & Industrial Solar and Storage 101 by Chris LaForge and Chris Brown
Have questions about recertifying? We’re here to help! Email us at NABCEP@heatspring.com to get your questions answered!
*The PV Technical Sales recertification requirements are currently in the process of changing until August 31, 2023. Up until that date, it is still possible to recertify using the old requirements of 18 hours of CEUs.