The NABCEP PV Installer Specialist (PVIS) Board Certification was designed for those who are highly competent with all aspects of PV installation processes, from installing DC and AC PV system conductors, raceways, system monitoring, control, and communication hardware to developing safety plans.
PV EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS FOR THE PVIS
A minimum of twenty-four (24) prescribed hours of advanced training is required. Each candidate must have:
- 18 hours of advanced PV installation principles and practices as outlined in the NABCEP PV Installer Specialist Job Task Analysis (PVIS JTA). Course(s) must have been taken with an accredited institution (like HeatSpring).
- 6 hours of the National Electric Code (NEC)
Our NABCEP PV Installer Specialist (PVIS) Certification Prep bundle saves you money and time in getting all of the hours and knowledge you need to pass the exam.
QUALIFYING FOR THE EXAMINATION
NABCEP recognizes that professionals in the field of renewable energy and energy efficient technologies receive their training and work experiences in a variety of ways. NABCEP Staff will review each application to determine compliance with eligibility criteria.
To qualify to sit for the NABCEP PV Installer Specialist (PVIS) Certification Examination, every Applicant, regardless of background, education or experience, will need to document:
- Completion of a minimum of 10 hours of OSHA Outreach Training Program for the Construction Industry training (or provincial equivalent); AND
- Completion of 24 hours of advanced training as defined in Section 5.7.2 below
(NOTE: These hours of training do not need to be in addition to apprenticeship or degree coursework if the requirements of Section 5.7.2 were met within the curriculum and timeframe); AND
- Completion of installations with a decision-making role equaling at least 6 Project Credits
Projects Credits are as follows:
- System size of 1 – 999kW = 2 Project Credits
- System size of 1MW and up = 3 Project Credits
See the NABCEP Handbook to confirm all of these details and for more details about:
- Eligibility Requirements
- Experience Requirements
- Documenting Experience
We offer a NABCEP PV Installer Specialist Practice Exam. By taking the practice exam, you will have the opportunity to become comfortable with the format of the exam.